Updated: Aug 21, 2019
Media and entertainment apps have experienced triple-digit growth, year over year, and we’re now at “peak OTT”. This year, we’re going to see new streaming services (and subsequent apps) from WarnerMedia, Disney, Viacom, Walmart, Costco, Quibi, Apple, and Comcast.
With the enormous amount of competition in each app store, getting Connected TV and mobile users to download a new video streaming app can be extremely challenging.
So what can marketers do to boost OTT app downloads organically and effectively in a overcrowded app marketplace?
[This is part of a series of articles that discuss what OTT marketers can do to organically increase OTT app installs.]
App Store Optimization (ASO)
Just like you optimize your website for SEO rankings, App Store Optimization (ASO) focuses on improving your app’s visibility in app stores (like Apple App Store and Google Play, Roku, etc).
The purpose is to make your app more visible in the charts and to increase its discoverability. It’s simple — the higher your app ranks in an app store’s search results, the more visible it is to potential customers which often translates into more traffic to your app’s page and ultimately in more downloads.
App downloads is the primary goal of ASO, however additional goals can include:
- Increased brand exposure
- Positive app ratings and reviews
- Audience engagement
There are a number of specific metadata elements within each store that can be targeted for ongoing optimization. The following are 5 of the core areas you will need to focus on and improve:
- App Name, URL, and Subtitle: Ensuring these items reflect user search behavior and the highest value (core) keywords describing your app as well as reinforcing value, differentiation and other perceived value signals.
- App Keyword Field(s): These are really important to get right and to update to evolve with changing user search queries. Traditional keyword research is required for optimization.
- App Logo: Your app icon is one of the first elements of your app that users will see, so make a strong first impression that communicates your app’s quality and purpose.
- App Reviews and Ratings: A core trust area for users as well as a ranking signal for app stores. Volume, freshness, and rating all matter. Users typically look to word-of-mouth recommendations rather than other forms of advertising which is where reviews become your best friend (or biggest foe). You will need to have a framework in place for generating regular reviews as well as for replying to and engaging with reviews. Don’t be spammy.
- App Downloads: As you would expect the more downloads your app receives, the higher the perceived buzz, demand, and user value associated with the app. Increasing the number of downloads will support increased prominence within the app store ranking.
Optimizing for your OTT app’s visibility will require ongoing effort to be successful, as well as a deep understanding of your target market. When you build an app, your goal is to drive traffic. With a commitment to ASO, consistently tracking and measuring performance and results, you can stand out in the respective app stores and maximize conversions.
Although ASO is becoming more and more popular, many OTT marketers we speak with are not using it to increase their app’s search ranking. As 63% of all app downloads are attributed to app stores, you can’t overestimate the largest discovery channel available to your app. More than ever, it’s time to take advantage of this extremely cost-effective technique to increase downloads.
[In the next part of this series, we’ll look at how Search Engine Optimization (SEO) plays a role in driving app installs and what you could be overlooking. Until then, we’d love to hear how you’re implementing App Store Optimization (ASO) in the comments below.]